The stomach normally secretes acid that is essential in the digestive process. This acid helps in breaking down the food during digestion.
When there is excess production of acid by the gastric glands of the stomach, it results in the condition known as acidity. Dyspepsia, heartburn and the formation of ulcers are some of the symptoms. It is more common in highly emotional and nervous individuals.
Causes of Acidity
Problem of acidity increases with age. Inappropriate eating habits like consumption of fat, sugar, salt and alcohol in excess often lead to acidity. Excess secretion of hydrochloric acid or other digestive juices in the stomach is another common cause. Skipping breakfast, staying hungry for long hours, stress, pregnancy, spending too much time in sun may also cause acidity.
Signs and Symptoms of Acidity
There are many signs and symptoms of acidity. Most common signs include pain in chest, burning sensation in upper abdomen / chest after a few hours of meals, bitter taste in mouth and feeling hungry frequently.
An occasional loss of appetite, nausea and vomiting, belching, coughing and pain during muscle contraction are other symptoms. Due to formation of ulcers in food pipe there may be a slight change in voice.
Acidity Treatment and Advice
• Eat fruits like apple, watermelon and banana
• Avoid fried food, pickle, hot and spicy food
• Take your meals on time
• Drink plenty of water
• Don’t skip your meals.
• Eat green and leafy vegetables
Home Remedies for Acidity, Heartburn, Heartburn Relief
• Chew up a few basil (tulsi ) leaves to obtain relief from blazing, nausea and gas
• Stay a small part of jaggery (gur) in your jaws and slowly suck it.
Repeat it each hour till acidity subsides.
• Eat watermelon, banana or cucumber each hour
• Eat a few almonds when your experience heartburn symptoms
• Gulp coconut water 4-5 periods a day.
• Drink a glass of cold milk for quick relief of heartburn and acidity
• Acquire one piece of clove and suck on it gradually
• Drink fresh mint juice gradually after meals
• Drink every day a 1 tsp juice of chebulic myrobalan mixed with 1 tsp of amla (Indian gooseberry) juice.
• Maintaining an standing posture for some time after food will help in preventing reaction
• Sleep with your head and shoulder on a elevated pillow for height
• Half an hour before your lunchtime eat 1 apple and sip on 1 cup of buttermilk. You can sip buttermilk along with your meals and during the day. Eat 1 cup of yoghurt after your meals. Drink 2 to 3 glasses of coconut water everyday.
• Eat frequent and lighter meals. Have lots of water, fresh fruit juices, raw vegetable salads and fruits to control your acid reflux.
• Drink warm water during the day and after getting up in the morning. This will maintain the acidity level and aid digestion.
Cold milk also relieves acidity and cures it anytime, consumption of coconut water during the day keeps acid secretion under control and also manages irregular eating pattern to a large extent. Consumption of fruits like banana, guava, melon and papaya in increased quantity certainly increases the effects of remedies to provide effective and permanent cure for acidity.
Consuming buttermilk with baked cumin seeds after meal also improves digestion and prevents episodes of excessive acid.
Exercise helps in controlling acidity
Depression, anxiety worsens the acidity disease so try to live a stress-free life for healthy and happy living.
Morning and evening walk are good for your health and keeps the acidity disease under control. Yogic exercises and meditation keeps your overall internal system (like digestive system, nervous system) and external system in good condition.