I was listening to a broadcast by Adrian Rogers this morning. His message was on marriage but he made reference to our health that really struck a chord with me.
His scripture reference was from Ephesians 5:29. The following scripture is from the NIV Bible:
Ephesians 5:29 After all, no one ever hated his own body, but he feeds and cares for it, just as Christ does the church.
Adrian Rogers went on to say, if we don't take care of our bodies, we are slowly committing suicide. He's absolutely right!
What are the side effects (over time) of overeating, under eating, processed foods, or any other pollutant that doesn't belong in our bodies?
Any one of these things is life threatening. If we don't take care of our bodies we are indeed-committing slow suicide.
Many of these things can be controlled or reversed by treating our bodies to healthy foods and a healthy lifestyle.
I've quoted the scripture below many times:
1 Corinthians 6:19-20 19Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.
So in essence, while we are slowly committing suicide aren't we also destroying the Temple of God?
I never like to present a problem without providing a solution so let's list the side effects of a healthy lifestyle.
Change is tough sometimes isn't it? Especially if in unhealthy lifestyle has dominated you over the years.
Start with some small changes and see if you don't start feeling better; often times that's enough to spur us on to do even more.
Here are some suggestions for small changes:
· Get moving-get some exercise. If you haven't done any exercise before, start out easy. Challenge yourself but don't overdo it. Walking is a great way to start
· Cut down to 2 desserts per week if you eat dessert daily
· Switch from white bread to whole grain bread
· If you don't get much sleep, go to bed an hour earlier
· Take time for prayer and devotional
· Limit the soda and add more water
· Limit the fast food and enjoy home cooked meals as a family.
· Add more fruit and vegetables to your meals and snacks
These are just a few suggestions. I bet you can come up with some of your own. Success in a few things is a faith builder to believe in more and the better you look and feel-you will be inspired to accomplish even more.